You know how Americans will call anything with feta cheese a “Mediterranean” dish? Excuse me while I do that.
Sometimes I wonder what real Mediterranean cuisine is like, but then I remember I don’t really care so long is there is feta. And olives. This simple one-dish, mix-and-go recipe contains both plus chickpeas. Does it get any better? (It does if you top it with avocado, but I digress…)
This “recipe” is not set in stone. You love feta? Add more feta! You hate onions? Leave them out! You really can’t mess something like this up. (But if you do, don’t blame me.)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- half of 1 small red onion, minced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- juice of half a lemon
- olive oil to taste* (Note: My olives were packed in oil so I skipped adding any more)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir. Chill (or don’t). Eat.
Notice how I had fat-free cheese but added an avocado? Give and take, y’all. Yin and yang. Balance. You know.
I’m proud to report that I dressed appropriately for work for the second day in a row.
And yes I do feel like I deserve some kind of award because I usually look like this:
I’m off to bed to curl up with this sexy little story…
Like opening up candy.