“I was told these were cheesecake.”
This is my boyfriend’s reaction to my attempt to trick him into thinking frozen banana and sunflower butter is a dessert.
“No, cheese-fake,” I said. “Emphasis on fake.” He shot me a skeptical look of total disapproval and then ate three more. I win.
In all honesty, these are kind of the furthest thing from cheesecake. In fact, they’re just pureed frozen banana mixed with flavorings of choice and topped with chocolate (or not if your boyfriend is allergic, WHICH IS THE WORST). But don’t they look good?
My boyfriend’s name is Adam. He’s a yoga teacher too. And a vegetarian. And has curly hair. Somehow we always have on the same color shirt when we go to yoga together. This is just getting weird… Anyway, despite those apparent similarities we are actually kind of an unlikely pair. For example, he’s a classically trained musician and I know all the words to all the Justin Bieber songs. Our most recent trips were India for him and LA for me. He has two dogs. I have two cats. You follow?
But I like to think it’s meant to be anyway mostly because on one of our first dates he “accidentally” fed me a MF lamb meatball (that he swears he thought was a falafel) and I continued speaking to him afterwards.
Dating a fellow yoga teacher is all the awesome you would expect it to be plus I keep a running list of all the ridiculous things he says that are all yoga teacher-y + boyfriend-y. Really. I have a special “Shit Adam Says” notepad on my phone full of them, see?
- Get outta here I have to meditate.
- I’m gonna make you watch me Neti pot.
- You only live… several times. Reincarnation joke!
- Don’t give me this Justin Bieber shit. I need some BEATS. (HAHAHA)
- Let’s make chai and watch Batman!
You get the idea. He’s super grounded and with it and I am out of control at all times. Evidence:
He is hilarious but is also a lot of fun to make fun of, too, because it’s just so easy.
“Katie, I am long past the point of feeling like, oh it’s Friday night so I have to do something cool. I am too old to give a shit. Being in sweatpants by 6pm on a Friday night feels good.”
Anyway. He’s wonderful and makes me better and calls me on my shit and won’t let me take no for an answer. Unless it’s asking him to get out of his sweatpants on a Friday night. Or asking him if the cheesefake bites taste like real cheesecake.
- 1.5 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy creamer (or nondairy milk)
- sunflower butter
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- coconut (optional)
- Puree bananas, coconut oil (optional) and creamer (or milk) until smooth
- Melt chocolate chips. If it isn’t creamy and smooth you can add a little milk to thin it out.
- Spoon banana puree into mini candy cups, top with sunflower butter and then pour chocolate over to cover
- Garnish with shaved coconut
- Freeze for at least one hour. Allow to thaw for 5-10 minutes before eating
Also look how much he loves cats: