Six years ago I ate a blueberry-stuffed cornmeal muffin at Petsi Pies in Boston and I have thought about it ever since.
In fact, I just spent a solid 30 minutes scrolling back through six years of Facebook photos to try and find evidence of its existence.
It. was. so. good.
I just experienced all five stages of grief in about a 15-second time span of looking for Petsi’s online, discovering they no longer exist and then realizing I just spelled it wrong the first time. Petsi’s, not Petesy’s.
Anyway, if you’re in Boston I strongly recommend you go to Petsi’s and get the cornmeal muffin. If you’re not, you could make this cornmeal griddle cake with blueberry sauce as a stand in.
- CORNMEAL CAKE
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- pinch of salt
- BLUEBERRY SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons berry jam
- splash of water
- splash of nondairy milk
- Mix together banana and egg whites
- Add dry ingredients and stir to combine
- Grease a skillet with nonstick spray (I use coconut oil spray) over medium heat
- Pour in batter and cook until browned on each side
- In the meantime, mix together jam, water and milk and microwave for 30 seconds
And as long as we’re in photo albums from 2007, let’s please take a minute to mourn my super-long hair and baby Weaz from that era.